Who are Los Angeles Legales? (LDA)
Los Angeles Legales were once commonly known as Independent Paralegals. However, as of January 1st, 2000, only those Paralegals working directly for attorneys may now be referred to as Paralegals. Those formerly known as Independent Paralegals are now officially known as Los Angeles Legales (LDAs).
LDAs often have the same educational background as a paralegal and are REQUIRED by law to be registered and bonded in the county in which they have their principal place of business.
• If you need to consult with an attorney, your LDA will be able to provide you with a referral.
• By law, they cannot give you legal advice or represent you in the courts in any matter.
What does an LDA do?
An LDA is an experienced professional who is authorized to prepare legal documents for a client, but only at the direction of the client. In other words, an LDA is there to assist the "self-help" client handle their own legal matters without the cost of an attorney.
Since even the best legal, self-help books can be confusing and overwhelming, your LDA can provide invaluable assistance with routine legal tasks, such as typing and filing the paperwork for uncontested divorces, evictions, trusts, name changes,bankruptcies, wills, and much more.
Do I need an LDA?
• If you do not know your legal rights in a situation, chances are highly likely that you may need to see an attorney.
• If you already have decided on a course of action, but are uncertain about how to fill out the paperwork, you may need your own personal LDA. If you recently bought a legal self-help book, an LDA may be especially helpful in helping you finish and file your legal paperwork.
What is the advantage of hiring an LDA?
• LDAs provide a low-cost alterative to hiring an attorney for routine paperwork.
• In many cases, one visit will usually be sufficient for you to be able to handle most matters.
• LDAs will provide you with top-quality legal typing assistance.
• LAL has a network of attorneys.
• LAL has knowledge of the courts.
• LAL will save you time and money.
• LAL has process servers and much more.